Monday, November 28, 2016

Steering Angle - Part 1

The E4D RWD Project

To be honest I didn't want to post this yet, as I have not fixed this problem yet. My current steering angle is at 71%. If you want to get to this steering angle you may do the following.

Caution : I am not responsible for any damage on your car and I dont offer refunds.If you do this, it is at your own risk !!!

The First thing I changed :

1) The Steering Block, ( I hope this is correct)

Items Needed :
1 X MF Steering Block

The original Steering block had the same problem, where you turn it will will  hit the gear. If any one has better options do leave it down in the comments. I opted for the E4D MF Steering Block. It has a shorter arm but provides better steering angle.

I might change this later if I find something better. (trial and error sucks, and no I don't have a 3d printer)

2) Remove the Drive Shaft

The main thing that stops the wheels from turning is the drive shaft. At high steering angles the drive shaft will cause the wheel to stop turning. Now you don't want that happening. So lose the drive shaft..

Note: I bought a 80 degree drive shaft but that doesn't work unless i change the steering block to a tamiya or 3 racing one.

3) Caster Block

This is the one which is help you turn a bit more. I cut the back portion of the caster block. I don't know the risk of this yet :p. But it seems to be working fine for me.

By doing the above steps you should be able to hit 71 degrees on steering angle.





For stability (WIP)

1) Steering System

Items Needed:
1x MF Steering Set
2x Caster Block Lower Screw
2 x M3 x10mm
1 x Servo Horn 

I changed removed the original steering And replaced it with the MF Steering Kit. I could not find an arm to hold both the steering arms, It with a custom made servo horn :p


I need to extend the arms and move this 1 cm. I still find the car a little wobbly but it does work a whole lot more compared to the original steering. Hopefully this would be more stable as there is less flex on the top chassis. 



The original arms are short, you need to find a way to extend the steering arm. I added some servo horns at the end of the arm. Its just a temporary measure at the moment until I find a more permanent fix.


Update 5th December 21 : 

The front gear connecting the from the rear was completely removed. At higher turning angles the tires were hitting the gear.

Chassis was cut more to accommodate higher steering angle. Now at 76 Degrees.

Also mod for mono shock was added. Please refer to : http://e4drwdproject.blogspot.my/2016/12/front-custom-suspension.html





No comments:

Post a Comment